Heading Logo

Second man charged in shooting at Cuyahoga Valley National Park

From Staff Reports Published: August 28, 2016 12:00 AM
  • 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos

A second man is facing charges in the shooting of a woman last month in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

Raymond Terry Moore III, 27, was arrested Aug. 18 and charged with aiding and abetting during the commission of offenses involving violations of attempted murder and the discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence, according to a news release from the FBI's Cleveland Division.

Dezay Martell Ely, 27, and also of Akron, was arrested on Aug. 12 and charged with attempted murder and discharge of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence, according to the FBI news release.

The FBI had taken over the multi-jurisdictional investigation of an 18-year-old woman found by runners July 3 lying in a Peninsula field within the CVNP. She was taken to the hospital "where it was determined she suffered three gunshot wounds to her head and face," the FBI news release stated. She was identified a few days later after her family reported her missing.

In its news release, the FBI reported its investigation led to the filing of charges against Moore and Ely.

[Article continues below]

Ely had a preliminary examination/detention hearing on Aug. 24 before U.S. District Court Magistrate Judge Kathleen D. Burke. Ely's case was bound over to a grand jury, according to court records.

Moore's preliminary examination/detention hearing was scheduled to take place before Burke on Aug. 26, after press time.

Both Ely and Moore have been remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshal's Office.

According to a complaint filed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Moore is accused of driving both Ely and the 18-year-old woman to a site in the park so Ely could test a gun he bought. Ely and the 18-year-old woman got out of the car and "walked around the corner, about 20-30 steps away from the vehicle," stated an FBI news release.

After shooting the gun "a couple times," the victim said Ely told her the gun had jammed and when she looked over at him, she said he shot her three times in the head, according to court documents.

"After being shot, the female heard Ely run away and the car drive off," stated the news release.

Rate this article

Do you want to leave a comment?   Please Log In or Register to comment.